GST NEWS
Central GST and Integrated GST law cleared, paves way for one-tax regime from July 1
Central GST and Integrated GST law cleared, paves way for one-tax regime from July 1
Mar 4, 2017

The implementation of the much contended Goods and Service tax (GST) has moved a step close to reality. The GST Council which met on Saturday at Vigyan Bhavan have finally cleared the Central GST and Integrated GST law.

While the agenda of the meet was to clear these two laws before the second half of the Budget Session on March 9, State GST and Union Territory GST was not to be discussed as the tax reform lies pending with the Law Commission for legal framing.

The draft compensation bill has already been approved in the Council's February 18 meeting. The four crucial bills form the enabling laws under the GST constitutional amendment, and the passage of these bills would pave way for the implementation of India's biggest indirect tax reform.

On Thursday, the GST Council proposed to raise the peak tax rate to 20%, from the current 14%. The revised draft of model GST law which was made public in November 2016, provides for a maximum rate of tax under the new regime at 14% (14% central GST and an equal state GST, taking the total to 28%). Officials said this "14%" would now be changed to say the rate will not exceed "20%". The GST Council, headed by Finance Minister Arun Jaitley and comprising representatives of all states agreed to keep the upper band of the rate in the law at 20%.

After Economic Affairs Secretary Shaktikanta Das, last week, stated that the roll-out of GST would not be later than July 1, Prakash Kumar, CEO of GST Network (GSTN) on Thursday said that he is ready to roll out GST from July 1.

Source :  Daily News & Analysis

Top Stories
FM simplifies GST refund claim process for businesses
Easing compliance burden for businesses, the Finance Ministry has said GST refunds can be claimed by...
Sep 6, 2018
336 Views
September last month to fix GST filing errors, claim credit for FY18
September is crucial for taxpayers under the new goods and services tax (GST) regime, as it will be ...
Sep 10, 2018
409 Views
Govt draws up plan to boost GST revenues
Alarmed by a nearly four-fold rise in GST compensation to states for June-July, the Finance Ministry...
Sep 10, 2018
258 Views
Companies not passing benefits of GST cut to customers, govt plans to hike penalty
Have the prices of regular use commodities come down after the government and the GST council slashe...
Sep 4, 2018
214 Views
GST returns: New system unlikely before next elections
The roll-out of the new simplified return-filing system for the goods and services tax (GST), which ...
Aug 31, 2018
340 Views
Articles on GST